Our interests are rooted in a deep curiosity for what it means to be human and how we can bring meaning to our experiences through the objects and places that we create. We value design as a tool for shaping the way we engage with the world and empathetically with one another.
Our practice is dedicated to exploring the potentials of architecture and design to enhance our shared experience in both the public sphere and private domain. With a diverse portfolio of work of varying scales and media, ranging from the speculative to the built, we possess the ability, agility, and ambition to guide any design project through the rigorous process of translating abstract ideas into tangible realities.
A design project of any scale can be a complex and daunting task.
We are here to make the process constructive, enjoyable, and rewarding for you.
We approach all projects, large and small, with a similar outlook:
- We view each project as an opportunity to create something highly personal yet accessible.
- We listen and work closely with you to define your needs and goals for the project.
- We consider context to ensure a project fits within a wider ecological & sociocultural community.
- We seek to amplify your ambitions into compelling concepts that will endure to provide lasting value.
- We build strong relationships, fostering collaboration and communication for a smooth project delivery.
Who We Are
Studio Becker Xu, PLLC is a Chicago-based architecture and design studio led by Sharon Xu and Robert Becker. Sharon and Robert met while designing at Princeton School of Architecture. Their collaboration brings together complementary backgrounds in architecture - Sharon’s systematic thinking and creative problem-solving from Massachusetts Institute of Technology and Robert’s adept understanding of craft and assembly from University of Illinois Chicago - to form a multi-faceted approach to design.
After working professionally in Los Angeles following graduate school, they moved back to the Midwest to form their creative practice, informed by over a decade of collective experience from architectural design offices in Boston, New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, and Seoul. In addition to their practice, they are educators at the Illinois Institute of Technology and the University of Illinois Chicago.